Skip to main content

Daily Challenge Part 4 (21-27)

Here we go with the prompt #21 until #27.

#21 Ornament: Fleur de Lis


The requirement of 3 large flaps and 3 smaller flaps is ideal for bird base with one corner split. The challenge here is to make the curved structure on the sides. I have no other idea apart from doing the loose reverse fold. 

#22 Teeth: Helicoprion



Helicoprion is a prehistoric shark with teeth on lower jaw that looks like circular saw. I don't have experience on folding teeth apart from Takagi's mosasaurus which used a long flap that gets pleated. To follow that idea, I reserved the entire 1/4 corner for lower jaw. Naturally the upper jaw can be put in the middle to make a bird-base like structure:

The remaining corners somehow should form body, tail, and other fins. It doesn't matter which corner should be used for the tail, the body length will the same since any remaining corners will yield the largest possible circle. I picked the lower left and now it became like a full blown bird base.

I made a bird base and just start to do free folding. Through random experimentation I used the remaining corner for fins. They are all made from point splitting.

There was one problem though, the teeth was thick. After all it was made from a flap with thickness of 2 layers of paper. The solution is to simply release the layer underneath. The final CP is shown above.

#23 Dark: Voodoo Doll 


Dark magic or black magic, doesn't matter. I just want to make a humanoid doll with heart in it. I tried to use fish base to make the heart through free folding and got this arrangement. It's done by squashing the smaller flap, then valley fold the raw corner. What's left is just hide the top portion behind.

To fill in the body, I put a massive diagonal graft and free-styled. The structure actually looks similar to my poison dart frog.

#24 Pokemon: Voltorb


I feel that Pokemon is a difficult subject. My goal is to make something that immediately evoke "hey this is <insert Pokemon name>" and came upon the idea to make Voltorb.

The first thing is folding the bottom edge up and provide the lower half color change. The eyes are free folded. A simple squash did the job well.

There's no clear reference for top half of this model. Just eyeball it to make this ball with eyes.

#25 Snow: Abominable Snowman


I wanted to make a chunky ape-like creature with big hands and small legs. This reminds me of my Tank. The main structure is reused but simplified since the legs are supposed to be short. The fish base for body is swapped with bird base to provide shorter hands and longer head flap. This head flap can be filled with details like facial structure.

On that day, I folded "Adult Syn" by Syn and amazed by how a single flap get turned into face. I followed the same approach and produced the ape-like face as shown above.

Adult Syn, diagram in Orifancy 2.

#26 Crawl: Mole Lizard 


The word "crawl" made me imagine a creature dragging its body with its hands. I remembered the suitable creature from encyclopedia I read as a kid. This burrowing lizard really has only forelimbs and long worm-like body.

To minimize paper wastage, usually long model like snake is made like knot. The knot is place where all the flaps will come out. Hiding the flap origin under this "knot" made illusion that the model is long.

In this model I used a bird base. All 3 long flaps are used for body. The middle flap became head, and the remaining long flap is split for the legs. This structure is similar with fleur de lis I made before, just with some toes.

#27 Wild: Wildebeest 



What makes this creature different from other cattle or antelope like creature is its neck. There are fur there and makes it look like layer. To make it so I just need to make a 4 legged creature with ears and horns, but with long neck. The neck is then pleated to imitate the fur. I used the classic silver rectangle structure to achieve this.

The downside of this structure is the center of mass. There are more paper devoted to the neck and head, so that part is heavier. Tilting the foreleg a bit to the front is necessary to make this model stand.  

Remarks

I actually missed the prompt #22 to #24 and made it afterwards. I couldn't fold at that time because my hand kept tingling whenever I fold due to poor blood circulation. After all I spent the entire day sitting with hands on table. A week of exercising cured me from this problem. So be sure to exercise to keep your heart healthy!

Most of the challenges in this period was made using bird base. I felt like spamming it, but thinking again, it is not necessarily bad. If a simple structure works then no need to think of complicated one.

Thanks for reading. Also check the previous challenge.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Origami Condor v1.2

Got an idea to improve the design while commuting. Change log from previous version : Extra row of feathers (coverts) Curved the secondary feathers' terminal edge Slots on primary feathers are now monotonically decreasing in size Here you can see the comparison: Before vs after

The Foolproof Way to Divide Paper Into N'ths

We all have been there... asking how to divide paper into 14ths or 15ths and occasionally got the answer of "just make 16 grid and cut it". Another scenario is being terrified with prime number division like 13ths or 17ths. In reality it's not that difficult. This post will share how to make such division just inside your head so you can start folding right away. I promise it won't require any arcane maths.

Warped and Wrinkled Paper Curse

After starting using Carboxy Methylcellulose (CMC), I began to wonder if my setup wasn't right. The problem was my double tissue would always peel itself when drying. There will be high pitched popping sound from the paper every now and then. Finally it would be completely off the surface. Whereas on every tutorial I saw, the paper will still stick to the surface and we have to peel it off. The bad part is the paper will be warped; it's not flat. It is difficult to fold a straight line on paper like this. Imagine precreasing a grid or locating references when your fold can be bent due to the paper's bump. I have theory on why the warp happened. Before going to that, it is important to know that: When a paper is wet, it expands. When it dries, it will return to the original size. However it will keep its shape when it is wet, meaning that if it is bent when wet, it will retain that bend when dried.  When my paper dried partially, that region will shrink. This created differe