Skip to main content

Daily Challenge Part 2 (7-13)

Here we go with the prompt #7 until #13.

I didn't have submission for #8 and #9 because I was working on the Discord bot, later named as "Robori" after "Robot" and "Origami". This bot is used for automatically pick the challenge prompt and do book-keeping of submissions per users. The daily challenge now fully runs automatically, like a clockwork ninja.

#7 Star: Patrick Star

Apologize for using printer paper, I was running low on kami.
Pants are actually color changed.


Initially I wanted to make a star constellation. The Leo constellation looks interesting, and I prepared a boxpleated model for it. It didn't work well and turned out ugly.

Then I pivoted to Staryu, the starfish-like Pokemon. I planned to make 6 flaps where 1 flap got used for the color changed core. I thought that the flap lengths should be different, to compensate for reverse folds.

I felt that it would be awkward to use box pleating, since it would produce boxy flaps. Therefore I fallback to circle packing. On a 8×8, I heuristically choose the coordinates to become circle's centers, and connect the active paths to fill in the molecules. Surprisingly the packing worked well.

The problem was shaping it. Some flaps are too wide and it is hard to make them uniform. However I realized that the base can be shaped into Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants. The longest flap is color changed to become the pants.

#8 Chef/cooking: N/A

#9 Ring: N/A

#10 Drooling: OG Golbat


I immediately thought of making the pokemon Gloom, because it is really drooling. However I couldn't figure out how to color change the petal and still make the drool visible. Then I changed to the old school Golbat:

From https://i.imgur.com/5bEKt.png

As you can see, this Golbat drools. This weird looking sprite was how Golbat looked like back in the days of Pokemon Red and Blue. It has droplets of drool so it suits the prompt.

The basic structure is 2 long and wide flaps for wings, and 1 long flap for the mouth and tongue. Mouth and tongue distinction can be made by pleating. Then there's also a need for 2 smaller and forked flaps for legs. The facial details should be able to be improvised by utilizing some middle or edge flaps.

Since the wings should be wide, I avoided boxpleating and went for circle packing. Starting from
 8×8, I allocated the following points and rough circle size.


I didn't worry too much about the ratio and directly draw diagonal to divide the rectangles on each sides. This allow each region to get a rabbit ear and the following packing emerged.


The bottom region will be divided vertically in half, allowing the corners to have forked flap which can be used for legs and droplet of drool. The top region will also be pleated to make facial features.

When the base is collapsed, I realized that I need to thin the rabbit ears with sink in-and-out. In the end the CP looks like a boxpleating with two large pythagorean stretches. The excess paper on top is folded to form ears, eyes, and fangs.

#11 Dune: Dune Buggy



I hope any of you who played Grand Theft Auto (GTA) game recognize this. It is an off-road vehicle, available in GTA San Andreas and GTA V whose map contains desert area.
Dune Buggy

This was the first time I am making a vehicle model. I tried to think the wheels as flaps, which means I just need a base with 4 flaps. The first 2 flaps should be shorter due to the fact that front wheels are smaller than rear wheels. The flap pairs also need to be separated by river. Actually I need the base to have 6 flaps. The extra 2 flaps will be put in the middle vertical symmetry line so that the model can be spread sideways. This practice is common in insect models.

The natural choice for this would be sawhorse molecules. Like OG Golbat, I reserved the top and bottom for pleats. Hopefully it would be useful to widen the wheels. To make the front wheels shorter, I skewed the top of the sawhorse molecules. The rest of the flaps are used for making headlights and passenger seat.

#12 Whale: Wailord


This Pokemon has 2 pairs of pectoral fins, and smaller pair of pelvic fins with white color. 

First I allocated the paper's opposite corners for head and tail. The tail should be longer because it will be split. Next is the fins, which will occupy the remaining corners. In the end it became the classic quadruped animal structure that I've used in my naked mole-rat and palm civet.

To add width and color change, a strip graft is added in the main diagonal. I am satisfied with the simplicity of this model.

Just a side note, at first I was going to design buff beluga. The plan was to use Kamiya's inoshishigami's pleat for the abs. I failed miserably :")
Source: metro.co.uk

#13 Tranquil: Dandelion Seed Globe

Just imagine the color is white/green instead of light/dark green.
I'm still running low on kami.

I thought to design a human sitting with fishing rod, but I wasn't in the mood to do humanoid boxpleating. I have no other idea to represent tranquility except for plants/flowers. Dandelion was my choice.

To make the seed globe, I needed a lot of small flaps to be distributed into globe. Those small flaps need to be connected to single long flap. The obvious solution is to use the entire paper boundary for small flaps and use the middle flap for the long one. The final structure is very simple.

Remarks

I tried to get away from my comfort zone of designing animals. Still have a lot to learn.
My favorite design in this period is OG Golbat. I don't know why but the idea of designing it was so funny and I kept giggling when I finished it. The fold can use some improvement but I wasn't bothered to do so.
Thank you for reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Origami Condor v1.2

Got an idea to improve the design while commuting. Change log from previous version : Extra row of feathers (coverts) Curved the secondary feathers' terminal edge Slots on primary feathers are now monotonically decreasing in size Here you can see the comparison: Before vs after

The Foolproof Way to Divide Paper Into N'ths

We all have been there... asking how to divide paper into 14ths or 15ths and occasionally got the answer of "just make 16 grid and cut it". Another scenario is being terrified with prime number division like 13ths or 17ths. In reality it's not that difficult. This post will share how to make such division just inside your head so you can start folding right away. I promise it won't require any arcane maths.

Warped and Wrinkled Paper Curse

After starting using Carboxy Methylcellulose (CMC), I began to wonder if my setup wasn't right. The problem was my double tissue would always peel itself when drying. There will be high pitched popping sound from the paper every now and then. Finally it would be completely off the surface. Whereas on every tutorial I saw, the paper will still stick to the surface and we have to peel it off. The bad part is the paper will be warped; it's not flat. It is difficult to fold a straight line on paper like this. Imagine precreasing a grid or locating references when your fold can be bent due to the paper's bump. I have theory on why the warp happened. Before going to that, it is important to know that: When a paper is wet, it expands. When it dries, it will return to the original size. However it will keep its shape when it is wet, meaning that if it is bent when wet, it will retain that bend when dried.  When my paper dried partially, that region will shrink. This created differe