Skip to main content

Origami Roasted Meat




The theme for Origami Dan's May design contest was prehistoric human; or anything related to it. I was tired to design complex model, and aimed to make simple model. So I thought of making this roasted meat.

Jang Yong Ik's asian black bear and Syn's Adult Syn having a good time.

Design

The main idea is to express simple shapes with basic geometric shape, preferably based on 22.5 structure. I have folded nearly all Hideo Komatsu's model in his book and was particularly captivated by how he expressed his model by composing basic geometric shapes. Take his wolf for example:
The base form looks like below. Notice how the 22.5 degree based shapes like diamonds and triangle got stitched together to express torso, forelegs, thighs, feet, and tails. It is unlike the tree based structure that I am familiar with.
Following the idea that Kamiya mentioned, I tried to imagine how the final roasted meat should look like, and then reverse engineer it. On my mind, it should look like this:
To reverse engineer it, I can imagine the that the two diamonds has to be on top of each other. Then the 4 legs can be placed on each corner of the paper. I omitted the stick at the moment because I thought that it can be easily added by blintzing.
Initial plan for the CP.

So how do we fill the rest of the CP? I don't know. I'll just follow whatever I have been told, which is folding with intuition. Who knows, maybe all the time grinding on Komatsu's model will aid me here. In the end, I found a configuration that works. There are paper near the hips, but they are easily hidden behind.
It doesn't look right, maybe because it looks skinny. So I drafted another plan to use overlapping squares instead of diamonds for the torso. This shape is actually easy to attain, by starting with preliminary base that is opened and squashed. 
I can fold the legs using the preliminary base's 4 flaps purely by free-styling. It is similar to pig base, but it gets funny in the middle because I need to narrow the middle part to make hips. Now it looks about right. As planned before, I can just blintz this to add the color changed stick.
Outer region is where the extra paper will be available after blintzing.

On the final CP, you would notice that a quarter of the paper is wasted. Two corners between foreleg and hind leg are just folded to the center without being used. I tried to utilize it for something, perhaps pleated to make ribs as in Syn's abs. In the end nothing works and I am happy to just tuck it underneath.

Fold

I used 15 cm standard kami to fold this. Not much shaping is needed except to hide the excess paper on the torso.

I hope that this design convey the idea of roasted meat right away. At least my mom recognize it immediately! I had fun to take picture of it with black bear and Syn.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Origami Condor v1.2

Got an idea to improve the design while commuting. Change log from previous version : Extra row of feathers (coverts) Curved the secondary feathers' terminal edge Slots on primary feathers are now monotonically decreasing in size Here you can see the comparison: Before vs after

The Foolproof Way to Divide Paper Into N'ths

We all have been there... asking how to divide paper into 14ths or 15ths and occasionally got the answer of "just make 16 grid and cut it". Another scenario is being terrified with prime number division like 13ths or 17ths. In reality it's not that difficult. This post will share how to make such division just inside your head so you can start folding right away. I promise it won't require any arcane maths.

Warped and Wrinkled Paper Curse

After starting using Carboxy Methylcellulose (CMC), I began to wonder if my setup wasn't right. The problem was my double tissue would always peel itself when drying. There will be high pitched popping sound from the paper every now and then. Finally it would be completely off the surface. Whereas on every tutorial I saw, the paper will still stick to the surface and we have to peel it off. The bad part is the paper will be warped; it's not flat. It is difficult to fold a straight line on paper like this. Imagine precreasing a grid or locating references when your fold can be bent due to the paper's bump. I have theory on why the warp happened. Before going to that, it is important to know that: When a paper is wet, it expands. When it dries, it will return to the original size. However it will keep its shape when it is wet, meaning that if it is bent when wet, it will retain that bend when dried.  When my paper dried partially, that region will shrink. This created differe