Skip to main content

Distributing a Flap into Pleats

You might have seen a pleated structure incorporated to a model. It is commonly used in insect for the abdomen, animal's ribs, or array of "spikes" on top of animal like crocodile.

I know how to construct it on boxpleated, but I wonder if the solution on non-boxpleating is generalizable. I remember that I've folded Kamiya's dragonfly and inoshishigami which uses that structure.

On inoshishigami, the rib pleat starts from single flap. This flap is squashed, then slid to top; as if now there's a river separating the flap. That step is repeated until that flap is split into 4 smaller unit flap, separated by rivers. However, in the last pleat Kamiya prepared squash on each edge so the final flap sliding can be performed. On dragonfly, the process is similar but the flap sliding is more prominent. Based on those models, along with warm shower, I started understand how it works.

Basically, we can split a 1-unit flap into N smaller flaps with length of 1/N unit, each separated by 1/N river. I will demonstrate how it is done below, just keep on reading.

An opportunity came when Takuro Kashiwamura tweeted an interesting pleated structure. It is shared in Origami-dan, and I am interested to apply that technique. In the end I was able to achieve similar structure, but the right part is slightly different. Below is my version, based on Kashiwamura's structure.

That structure is kind of cursed if we need to fold it just from crease pattern. Imagine how on earth shall we find those angles. Luckily there's a sequence to do that. I made a picture diagram to make the structure above by using the sequence of: squash, pivot, and slide. Check it out here.

Try to follow the diagram and develop your intuition. I unfortunately don't have the necessary computational origami background to explain why does that work. However, let me know if you have question!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Origami Condor v1.2

Got an idea to improve the design while commuting. Change log from previous version : Extra row of feathers (coverts) Curved the secondary feathers' terminal edge Slots on primary feathers are now monotonically decreasing in size Here you can see the comparison: Before vs after

The Foolproof Way to Divide Paper Into N'ths

We all have been there... asking how to divide paper into 14ths or 15ths and occasionally got the answer of "just make 16 grid and cut it". Another scenario is being terrified with prime number division like 13ths or 17ths. In reality it's not that difficult. This post will share how to make such division just inside your head so you can start folding right away. I promise it won't require any arcane maths.

Warped and Wrinkled Paper Curse

After starting using Carboxy Methylcellulose (CMC), I began to wonder if my setup wasn't right. The problem was my double tissue would always peel itself when drying. There will be high pitched popping sound from the paper every now and then. Finally it would be completely off the surface. Whereas on every tutorial I saw, the paper will still stick to the surface and we have to peel it off. The bad part is the paper will be warped; it's not flat. It is difficult to fold a straight line on paper like this. Imagine precreasing a grid or locating references when your fold can be bent due to the paper's bump. I have theory on why the warp happened. Before going to that, it is important to know that: When a paper is wet, it expands. When it dries, it will return to the original size. However it will keep its shape when it is wet, meaning that if it is bent when wet, it will retain that bend when dried.  When my paper dried partially, that region will shrink. This created differe