Skip to main content

Origami Leafcutter Ant

After folding Cordyceps, I had an idea to fold an ant carrying something. Then I remember there are types of ants that cut leaves and bring it back to nest. Those are called leafcutter ants. 

I am always interested in composite origami model, especially with color change. There are extra challenges in allocating paper for different parts and decide how to join them.


To express the ant's relative strength, I decided to make the leaf as big as possible. It is clear that this leaf will be a long flap formed in the corner.

Next is the ant, which is naturally put in the opposite corner. Insect like this is typically designed with legs using corner/edge flap, and abdomen as middle flap. Therefore I tried doing that.

However this made it hard to fill the ant's head, and I realized that the abdomen can just use the corner.

For the front part of the ant, I need a pair of antennae, and mandibles to pinch on the leaf. Those flaps need to be separated from the legs by river. It was difficult to get the correct length proportions though, which I expected the length of mandibles to be shorter than head, and head is shorter than antennae. The best I can came up with is extending the legs' central point to the top, creating total of 5 shorter flaps with equal length. Hopefully they can be shaped into head, 2 antennae, and 2 mandibles.

I improvised the remaining crease to connect the ant's front part and leaf, using box-pleat style and spread sink. Here is the final crease pattern.

(I started to enjoy drawing rivers)

I gave it a test fold using 15 cm x 15 cm common origami paper. The base collapsed... and sort of fulfill my vision.

I doubt if it can be shaped properly. After trying to narrow the legs just by half, the ant-part became too thick to fold. However, it looked more ant-like, so my doubt were partially erased.

The next problem is the thickness. Even though I can use double tissue paper, I had bad experience on folding model where a river spans along the paper edge. On the base, all the "river part" of the axial polygons which this river cross before the symmetry line will stack on top of each other. 

I used the remains of the double tissue and tried to fold as many layer as possible. The maximum amount of layers I can get is 48 layers. More than that, the thickness will prevent any further crease to be made unless I have bigger paper.
Insect legs, with 48 layers of double tissue

Now I knew the limit... there should be no more than 48 layers in the final model. If I use the following narrowing strategy, there will be 46 layers in the ant's "neck". It is close, but we would never knew how good it will end up if we didn't try.

Each big rabbit ear (marked in red) contributes 6 layers, and each small rabbit ear (marked in blue) contributes 4 layers. There are 5 big rabbit ear, and 4 small rabbit ears. The total thickness of the river on a symmetry side is 6*5+4*4=46. 


Alright, I grabbed my first successful double tissue with Methyl Cellulose which is 37.5 cm x 37.5 cm and start to fold it. Once the base is done, it took me 3 days of 30 minutes folding to shape the ant. Folding double tissue is harder than tissue foil, since the wet paper expands and caused the model to be unstable. I had to pinch it with paper binder or cloth drying pins, wait until it dries, and continue shaping other parts. The result is shown on the picture at the start of this post.


In the end, the ant's neck is fine. However the head was the problem. It's thicker, and heavier. Due to large weight differences between head and legs, the model is unable to stand on its own and I had to use memo holder

Overall, it was satisfying. We can also change the leaf into something else, as long as it can be shaped from the corner flap. Maybe a seed, toadstool, or scavenged dead insect body part.


Popular posts from this blog

Origami Condor v1.2

Got an idea to improve the design while commuting. Change log from previous version : Extra row of feathers (coverts) Curved the secondary feathers' terminal edge Slots on primary feathers are now monotonically decreasing in size Here you can see the comparison: Before vs after

Warped and Wrinkled Paper Curse

After starting using Carboxy Methylcellulose (CMC), I began to wonder if my setup wasn't right. The problem was my double tissue would always peel itself when drying. There will be high pitched popping sound from the paper every now and then. Finally it would be completely off the surface. Whereas on every tutorial I saw, the paper will still stick to the surface and we have to peel it off. The bad part is the paper will be warped; it's not flat. It is difficult to fold a straight line on paper like this. Imagine precreasing a grid or locating references when your fold can be bent due to the paper's bump. I have theory on why the warp happened. Before going to that, it is important to know that: When a paper is wet, it expands. When it dries, it will return to the original size. However it will keep its shape when it is wet, meaning that if it is bent when wet, it will retain that bend when dried.  When my paper dried partially, that region will shrink. This created differe

The Foolproof Way to Divide Paper Into N'ths

We all have been there... asking how to divide paper into 14ths or 15ths and occasionally got the answer of "just make 16 grid and cut it". Another scenario is being terrified with prime number division like 13ths or 17ths. In reality it's not that difficult. This post will share how to make such division just inside your head so you can start folding right away. I promise it won't require any arcane maths.